Ana Marušić is Professor of Anatomy and Chair of the Department of Research in Biomedicine and Health at the University of Split School of Medicine, Split, Croatia, and holds an Honorary Professorship at the University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK. She is the Co-editor in Chief of the Journal of Global Health and President of the European Association of Science Editors. She chairs the Research Committee of the World Association of Medical Editors. Prof. Marušić is also the Co-Chair of the Cochrane Scientific Committee.
Prof. Marušić is the founder of the Cochrane Croatia and takes responsibility for Research as its Research Coordinator. She also founded the Croatian Centre for Global Health at the University of Split School of Medicine. She is on the Steering Group of the EQUATOR (Enhancing the QUality And Transparency Of Health Research) Network. She has a number of significant academic achievements including authorship of more than 200 peer-reviewed articles and was heavily involved with creating the policy of mandatory registration of clinical trials in public registries which helped change the legal regulation of clinical trials worldwide.
She has received a number of awards for her research, most recently a Meritorious Award from the Council of Science Editors in 2016.
List of most recent publications on editorial research:
- Meerpohl JJ, Schell LK, Bassler D, Gallus S, Kleijnen J, Kulig M, La Vecchia C, Marušić A, Ravaud P, Reis A, Schmucker C, Strech D, Urrútia G, Wager E, Antes G; OPEN project consortium.Evidence-informed recommendations to reduce dissemination bias in clinical research: conclusions from the OPEN (Overcome failure to Publish nEgative fiNdings) project based on an international consensus meeting. BMJ Open 2015;5:e006666.
- Mahmić-Kaknjo M, Marušić A. Analysis of evidence supporting the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina reimbursement medicines lists: role of the WHO Essential Medicines List, Cochrane systematic reviews and technology assessment reports. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 2015;71:825-33.
- Pina DG, Hren D, Marušić A. Peer Review Evaluation Process of Marie Curie Actions under EU's Seventh Framework Programme for Research. PLoS One 2015;10:e0130753.
- Komić D, Marušić SL, Marušić A. Research Integrity and Research Ethics in Professional Codes of Ethics: Survey of Terminology Used by Professional Organizations across Research Disciplines. PLoS One 2015;10:e0133662.
- Marušić A, Hren D, Mansi B, Lineberry N, Bhattacharya A, Garrity M, Clark J, Gesell T, Glasser S, Gonzalez J, Hustad C, Lannon MM, Mooney LA, Peña T. Five-step authorship framework to improve transparency in disclosing contributors to industry-sponsored clinical trial publications. BMC Med 2014 12:197.
- Jelicic Kadic A, Zanic M, Skaricic N, Marusic A. Using the WHO Essential Medicines List to assess the appropriateness of insurance coverage decisions: A case study of the Croatian National Medicine Reimbursement List. PLoS One 2014;9:e111474.
- Malicki M, Marusic A; OPEN (to Overcome failure to Publish nEgative fiNdings) Consortium. Is there a solution to publication bias? Researchers call for changes in dissemination of clinical research results. J Clin Epidemiol 2014;67:1103-10.
- Marusic A, Malicki M, von Elm E. Editorial research and the publication process in biomedicine and health: Report from the Esteve Foundation Discussion Group, December 2012. Biochem Med (Zagreb) 2014;24:211-6.
- Malicki M, von Elm E, Marusic A. Study design, publication outcome, and funding of research presented at international congresses on peer review and biomedical publication. JAMA 2014;322:1064-6.
- Broga M, Mijaljica G, Waligora M, Keis A, Marusic A. Publication Ethics in Biomedical Journals from Countries in Central and Eastern Europe. Sci Eng Ethics 2014;20:99-109.
- Mrduljas Dujic N, Zitnik E, Pavelin L, Bacic D, Boljat M, Vrdoljak D, Pavlicevic I, Dvornik A, Marusic A, Marusic M.. Writing letters to patients as an educational tool for medical students. BMC Med Edu 2013, 13:114.
- Marusic A. Global visibility for global health: Is it time for a new descriptor in Medical Subject Heading (MeSH) of MEDLINE/PubMed? J Glob Health 2013;3:10301.
- Müller KF, Briel M, D'Amario A, Kleijnen J, Marusic A, et al. Defining publication bias: protocol for a systematic review of highly cited articles and proposal for a new framework. Syst Rev 2013;2:34.
- Rudan I, Nair H, Marusic A, Campbell H. Reducing mortality from childhood pneumonia and diarrhoea: The leading priority is also the greatest opportunity. J Glob Health 2013;3:10101
- Marusic A, Ferencic SF. Adoption of the double dummy trial design to reduce observer bias in testing treatments. J R Soc Med 2013;106:196-8.
- Christopher MM, Marusic A. Geographic trends in research output and citations in veterinary medicine: insight into global research capacity, species specialization, and interdisciplinary relationships. BMC Vet Res 2013;9:115
- Marusic A. Science behind reviewing. J Pak Med Assoc 2013;63:656-8.
- Müller KF, Briel M, D'Amario A, Kleijnen J, Marusic A, Wager E, Antes G, von Elm E, Lang B, Motschall E, Gloy V, Schwarzer G, Altman D, Meerpohl JJ, Bassler D. Defining publication bias: protocol for a systematic review of highly cited articles and proposal for a new framework. Syst Rev 2013;2:34.
- Tudor KI, Kozina PN, Marusic A. Methodological rigour and transparency of clinical practice guidelines developed by neurology professional societies in Croatia. PLoS One 2013;8:e69877.
- Marusic A. Global health - multiple definitions, single goal. Commentary. Ann Ist Super Sanita 2013;49:2-3.
- Marusic A, Gasparyan AY, Kitas GD.Promoting transparent and accurate reporting of research studies in rheumatology: Endorsement of reporting guidelines in rheumatology journals. Semin Arthritis Rheum 2013;43:288-91.
- Marusic A, Sambunjak D, Jeroncic A, Malicki M, Marusic M. No health research without education for research - experience from an integrated course in undergraduate medical curriculum. Med Teach 2013;35:609.